Sunday, February 12, 2006

Going out with a bang

I've always known that the Chinese loved their re nao but ever since the government lifted the 12 year ban on fireworks within city limits this Lunar New Year, things have been downright ridiculous. You would've thought that the people who invented gunpowder would put their creation to a more worthy cause, like developing alternative energy sources (plausible), detonating landmines (I'm just making it up as I go along here) or ... something!

I wonder what is the reason behind this about-turn in regulation. Do firework manufacturers have a powerful political lobby? Is there a tax levied on the sale of fireworks which translates into revenue for the State? Were lawmakers who grew up during the difficult years of political upheaval in the 60s and 70s so deprived of the joy of setting off fireworks in their backyard - which had been turned into makeshift smelting centres - that they decided to give themselves a second childhood? I don't want to be a chunjie Grinch or anything, but let's weigh up the pros and cons of fireworks.

Pros

  • Erm... they're nice to look at? So are Jessica Alba and Ioan Gruffyd.
Cons

  • Unnecessary decibels in a city obsessed with car horns, where conversations are yelled and not spoken, recorded announcements on loop are blared out from shops and the chorus of round-the-clock renovation/construction assault our tortured ear drums 24-7.
  • Air pollution. Nuff said.
  • They are an utter waste of money with no returns whatsoever other than the abovementioned. I haven't any figures on fireworks spending but it would not be unreasonable to assume that they run into the millions. This money could've gone to a better cause, like charity. Heck, like having a nice, romantic dinner with your wife! Whatever, there are countless ways to boost the domestic economy without going out there and setting off a bunch of explosives. Update: Estimates suggest that Beijing residents will spend up to RMB100 million on fireworks over the festive season.
  • They are inherently dangerous unless one is from the bomb disposal unit. And still, mishaps do happen.
  • As a dog lover, it's upsetting to see them running for cover from the loud noise. (I'd do the same if only there was enough room under my bed for Sam and I.)
I really hope that the government will realise the madness of lifting the ban on fireworks and reinstate it in the following year. In theory, there's nothing wrong with a bit of firecrackers. I used to play with them in my grandparent's garden in Ipoh when I was a wee un. The difference is that 1) Ipoh has a population of less than 800,000 (and KL 1.4 million for that matter) 2) without a single dominant monoculture, not everyone celebrates the same festival at the same time in the same way i.e. we realise there are other ways to have a jolly good time besides making excessive noise 3) we lived in houses, not densely populated apartment blocks.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auto warranty service contracts
are typically referred to as an extended
auto warranty
, used car warranty,
new car warranty.

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Word.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home